- IPA[ˈˌheɪl ˈmɛri]
- a prayer to the Virgin Mary used chiefly by Roman Catholics, beginning with part of Luke 1:28.；a recitation of a Hail Mary prayer
noun: Hail Mary, plural noun: Hail Marys
- 1. a prayer to the Virgin Mary used chiefly by Roman Catholics, beginning with part of Luke 1:28.
- ▪ a recitation of a Hail Mary prayer muttering Hail Marys under her breath
- 2. a long, typically unsuccessful pass made in a desperate attempt to score late in the game they beat the 49ers on a Hail Mary pass in the final seconds
- ▪ a plan or project with little chance of success a Hail Mary plan