- report or represent in outline；indicate faintly
verb: adumbrate, 3rd person present: adumbrates, gerund or present participle: adumbrating, past tense: adumbrated, past participle: adumbrated
- 1. formal report or represent in outline they have adumbrated the importance of education as a means of social transformation
- ▪ formal indicate faintly the walls were not more than adumbrated by the meager light
- ▪ formal foreshadow or symbolize what qualities in Christ are adumbrated by the vine?
- ▪ formal overshadow her happy reminiscences were adumbrated by consciousness of something else
- represent in outline: Hobhouse had already adumbrated the idea of a welfare state