- a narrow passageway between or behind buildings；a path lined with trees, bushes, or stones
noun: alley, plural noun: alleys
- 1. a narrow passageway between or behind buildings he took a short cut along an alley there were a few muggings in the backstreets and alleys
- ▪ a path lined with trees, bushes, or stones alleys of standing stones
- ▪ a long, narrow area in which games such as bowling are played.
- ▪ either of the two areas of the court between the doubles sideline and the singles or service sideline.
- ▪ the area between the outfielders in left center or right center field.