- a comparison between one thing and another, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification；a correspondence or partial similarity
noun: analogy, plural noun: analogies
- 1. a comparison between one thing and another, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification an analogy between the workings of nature and those of human societies he interprets logical functions by analogy with machines
- ▪ a correspondence or partial similarity the syndrome is called deep dysgraphia because of its analogy to deep dyslexia
- ▪ a thing which is comparable to something else in significant respects works of art were seen as an analogy for works of nature
- ▪ a process of arguing from similarity in known respects to similarity in other respects argument from analogy
- ▪ a process by which new words and inflections are created on the basis of regularities in the form of existing ones.
- ▪ the resemblance of function between organs that have a different evolutionary origin.