- a thing or event that existed before or logically precedes another；a person's ancestors or family and social background
- preceding in time or order; previous or preexisting；denoting a grammatical antecedent.
noun: antecedent, plural noun: antecedents
- 1. a thing or event that existed before or logically precedes another:
some antecedents to the African novel might exist in Africa's oral traditions
- 2. a person's ancestors or family and social background:
her early life and antecedents have been traced
- 3. a word, phrase, clause, or sentence to which another word (especially a following relative pronoun) refers.
- 4. the statement contained in the “if” clause of a conditional proposition.
- 5. the first term in a ratio.
- 1. preceding in time or order; previous or preexisting:
the antecedent events that prompt you to break a diet
- 2. denoting a grammatical antecedent.
- n.a thing that existed before or logically precedes another:
- some antecedents to the African novel might exist in Africa's oral traditions
- adj.preceding in time or order; previous or pre-existing:
- antecedent events
Powered by Oxford Dictionary of English 3e
1. antecedent (先行詞)、pronoun (代名詞)，在句子裡會先出現「先行詞」，之後又再次提到就用「代名詞」。 2. 至於Agreement of Pronoun and Antecedent的意思是指，先行詞和代名詞要一致。 【舉例說明】 He likes the...
*學歷 antecedent *抗壓性 renitency *失敗是為成功打基礎 The fail is the basic for success...
來路(歷)不明 : of questionable source (origin) / shady antecedents Do not take any money of questionable origin. (不要拿來路不明的錢) ex. : He is a man of shady antecedents. (他是一個來歷不明的人)