- a person or thing that is the direct opposite of someone or something else；a contrast or opposition between two things
noun: antithesis, plural noun: antitheses
- 1. a person or thing that is the direct opposite of someone or something else love is the antithesis of selfishness 同義詞
- ▪ a contrast or opposition between two things the antithesis between occult and rational mentalities 同義詞
- ▪ a figure of speech in which an opposition or contrast of ideas is expressed by parallelism of words that are the opposites of, or strongly contrasted with, each other, such as “hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all sins” his sermons were full of startling antitheses
- ▪ (in Hegelian philosophy) the negation of the thesis as the second stage in the process of dialectical reasoning.