- a very typical example of a certain person or thing；an original that has been imitated
noun: archetype, plural noun: archetypes
- 1. a very typical example of a certain person or thing the book is a perfect archetype of the genre
- ▪ an original that has been imitated the archetype of faith is Abraham
- ▪ a recurrent symbol or motif in literature, art, or mythology mythological archetypes of good and evil
- ▪ (in Jungian psychology) a primitive mental image inherited from the earliest human ancestors, and supposed to be present in the collective unconscious.
- a very typical example of a certain person or thing: he was the archetype of the old-style football club chairman