- the action of making amends for a wrong or injury；(in religious contexts) reparation or expiation for sin
noun: atonement, plural noun: atonements
- 1. the action of making amends for a wrong or injury he submitted his resignation as an act of atonement
- ▪ (in religious contexts) reparation or expiation for sin an annual ceremony of confession and atonement for sin
- ▪ the reconciliation of God and mankind through Jesus Christ.
- reparation for a wrong or injury: she wanted to make atonement for her husband's behavior
Oxford American Dictionary
...all the sins of the children of Israel on the Day of Atonement. The goat, symbolically bearing their sins, was then...
...17:57 補充： 字根atone這個單字在字典裡是查得到的此字在基督教裡常用名詞是atonement意思就是耶穌的救贖unatoned查不到的話有可能是作者依照英文的句法自己造字
...maybe then, after he learned he was not only the sympathy there is atonement Hannah sense of place in his heart she has been a seat...