- the right or condition of self-government；a self-governing country or region
noun: autonomy, plural noun: autonomies
- 1. the right or condition of self-government between the First and Second World Wars, Canada gained greater autonomy from Britain
- ▪ a self-governing country or region the national autonomies of the Russian Republic
- ▪ freedom from external control or influence; independence the courts enjoy a considerable degree of autonomy economic autonomy is still a long way off for many women
- 2. (in Kantian moral philosophy) the capacity of an agent to act in accordance with objective morality rather than under the influence of desires.
- the right or condition of self-government: Tatarstan demanded greater autonomy within the Russian Federation
Oxford American Dictionary