- an imaginary line about which a body rotates；an imaginary straight line passing through the center of a symmetrical solid, about which a plane figure can be conceived as rotating to generate the solid.
noun: axis, plural noun: axes
- 1. an imaginary line about which a body rotates the Earth revolves on its axis once every 24 hours 同義詞
- ▪ an imaginary straight line passing through the center of a symmetrical solid, about which a plane figure can be conceived as rotating to generate the solid.
- ▪ an imaginary line which divides something into equal or roughly equal halves, especially in the direction of its greatest length.
- 2. a fixed reference line for the measurement of coordinates the variable that is thought of as a cause is placed on the horizontal axis, and the variable that is thought of as an effect on the vertical axis
- 3. a straight central part in a structure to which other parts are connected.
- ▪ the central column of an inflorescence or other growth the leaflets are arranged in rows on a slender axis
- ▪ the skull and backbone of a vertebrate animal.
- 4. the second cervical vertebra, below the atlas at the top of the backbone.
- 5. an agreement or alliance between two or more countries that forms a center for an eventual larger grouping of nations the Anglo-American axis 同義詞
- ▪ the alliance of Germany and Italy formed before and during World War II, later extended to include Japan and other countries the Axis Powers