- directed behind or to the rear；looking toward the past, rather than being progressive; retrograde
- (of a movement) away from one's front; in the direction of one's back；in reverse of the usual direction or order
- 1. directed behind or to the rear:
she left the room without a backward glance
a gradual backward movement
- 2. looking toward the past, rather than being progressive; retrograde:
he said the decision was a backward step
- 3. having made less than normal progress:
economically backward countries
- 4. (of a person) having learning difficulties:
a lively child but a bit backward
- 1. (of a movement) away from one's front; in the direction of one's back:
he took a step backward
Harry suddenly fell backward into a somersault
- 2. in reverse of the usual direction or order:
baseball caps turned backward
- 3. toward or into the past:
a loving look backward at his early life
- 4. toward or into a worse state:
a giant step backward for child-centered education
...不知所措。這裡的be taken aback約略類似於be surprised的意思。 backward和backwards兩個字有時被混淆使用，但細分的話前者應是形容詞意思是...
...from dictionary.com 還有一些字典 他們都說兩個字是一樣的 但是沒有人再用backwardly 當你在網路搜尋的時候 他們都只會說那是backwards 的同意子 然後...
backward a.(形容詞 adjective) 向後的,反向的,返回的 落後的,發展遲緩的[(+in)] The teacher was patient with backward children. 那位老師對遲鈍的學童十分耐心。 怕羞的,畏縮的;猶豫的...