- a long, sturdy piece of squared timber or metal used to support the roof or floor of a building；a narrow, raised horizontal piece of squared timber on which a gymnast balances while performing exercises
- transmit (a radio signal or broadcast) in a specified direction；(in science fiction) transport someone instantaneously to or from a spaceship
verb: beam, 3rd person present: beams, gerund or present participle: beaming, past tense: beamed, past participle: beamed
noun: beam, plural noun: beams
- 1. a long, sturdy piece of squared timber or metal used to support the roof or floor of a building there are very fine oak beams in the oldest part of the house the cottage boasts a wealth of exposed beams 同義詞
- ▪ a narrow, raised horizontal piece of squared timber on which a gymnast balances while performing exercises a compulsory set of exercises on floor, vault, bars, and beam
- ▪ a horizontal piece of squared timber or metal supporting the deck and joining the sides of a ship the watertight skin and deck were put on over this framework of ribs and beams
- ▪ the direction of an object visible from the port or starboard side of a ship when it is perpendicular to the centre line of the vessel there was land in sight on the port beam
- ▪ a ship's breadth at its widest point a cutter with a beam of 16 feet
- ▪ informal the width of a person's hips notice how broad in the beam she's getting?
- ▪ the main stem of a stag's antler the wide beams sprouted ten main tines
- ▪ the crossbar of a balance.
- ▪ an oscillating shaft which transmits the vertical piston movement of a beam engine to the crank or pump.
- ▪ the shank of an anchor.
- ▪ historical the main timber of a horse-drawn plough.
- 2. a ray or shaft of light a beam of light flashed in front of her the torch beam dimmed perceptibly 同義詞
- ▪ a directional flow of particles or radiation beams of electrons
- ▪ a series of radio or radar signals emitted as a navigational guide for ships or aircraft the detector simply pinpoints the radar beams that other ships transmit
- 3. a radiant or good-natured look or smile a beam of satisfaction 同義詞 反義詞
- 1. transmit (a radio signal or broadcast) in a specified direction the satellite beamed back radio signals to scientists on Earth 同義詞
- ▪ (in science fiction) transport someone instantaneously to or from a spaceship mission controller, beam me up!
- 2. (of a light or light source) shine brightly the sun's rays beamed down 同義詞
- 3. smile radiantly she beamed with pleasure 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ express (an emotion) with a radiant smile the instructress beamed her approval