- ask someone earnestly or humbly for something；ask for (something) earnestly or humbly
verb: beg, 3rd person present: begs, gerund or present participle: begging, past tense: begged, past participle: begged
- 1. ask someone earnestly or humbly for something he begged his fellow passengers for help she begged me to say nothing to her father 同義詞
- ▪ ask for (something) earnestly or humbly he begged their forgiveness 同義詞
- ▪ ask formally for (permission to do something) I will now beg leave to make some observations I beg to second the motion
- 2. ask for food or money as charity a young woman was begging in the street they had to beg for food 同義詞
- ▪ acquire (food or money) from someone by begging a piece of bread which I begged from a farmer
- ▪ (of a dog) sit up with the front paws raised expectantly in the hope of a reward.