- a yellow alloy of copper and zinc；a decorative object made of brass
noun: brass, plural noun: brasses
- 1. a yellow alloy of copper and zinc a brass plate on the door
- ▪ a decorative object made of brass shining brasses stood on the mantelpiece
- ▪ British a round flat brass ornament for the harness of a draught horse.
- ▪ a memorial, typically a medieval one, consisting of a flat piece of inscribed brass, laid in the floor or set into the wall of a church children do not appear on memorial brasses until the 1420s
- ▪ a brass block or die used for stamping a design on a book binding.
- 2. brass wind instruments (including trumpet, horn, and trombone) forming a band or a section of an orchestra the brass were consistently too loud
- 3. informal people in authority or of high military rank the top brass of the Jockey Club
- 4. British informal money they wanted to spend their newly acquired brass