- a family of young animals, especially of a bird, produced at one hatching or birth；bee or wasp larvae.
- think deeply about something that makes one unhappy；(of a bird) sit on (eggs) to hatch them
- (of an animal) kept to be used for breeding
verb: brood, 3rd person present: broods, gerund or present participle: brooding, past tense: brooded, past participle: brooded
- 1. a family of young animals, especially of a bird, produced at one hatching or birth a brood of chicks 同義詞
- ▪ bee or wasp larvae.
- ▪ all of the children in a family he was the youngest in a brood of six a remarkable brood of writers 同義詞
- 1. think deeply about something that makes one unhappy he brooded over his need to find a wife 同義詞
- 2. (of a bird) sit on (eggs) to hatch them the male pheasant-tailed jacana takes over once the eggs are laid and broods them 同義詞
- ▪ (of a fish, frog, or invertebrate) hold (developing eggs) within the body.
- 1. (of an animal) kept to be used for breeding a brood mare