- used to introduce a phrase or clause contrasting with what has already been mentioned；used to indicate the impossibility of anything other than what is being stated
- except; apart from; other than；used with repetition of certain words to give emphasis
- no more than; only
- an argument against something; an objection
- 1. used to introduce a phrase or clause contrasting with what has already been mentioned he stumbled but didn't fall this is one principle, but it is not the only one 同義詞 反義詞
- 2. used to indicate the impossibility of anything other than what is being stated one cannot but sympathize there was nothing they could do but swallow their pride 同義詞
- 3. used to introduce a response expressing a feeling such as surprise or anger but that's an incredible saving! but why?
- 4. used after an expression of apology for what one is about to say I'm sorry, but I can't pay you
- 5. archaic without it being the case that it never rains but it pours
- 1. except; apart from; other than in Texas, we were never anything but poor the last but one
- ▪ used with repetition of certain words to give emphasis nobody, but nobody, was going to stop her
- 1. no more than; only he is but a shadow of his former self choose from a colorful array of oranges, cherries, and raspberries, to name but a few
- 1. an argument against something; an objection no buts—just get out of here as with all these proposals, ifs and buts abound
conj. 1. 但是 It is hot in summer here, but it is not cold in winter. 這裡夏天熱,但冬天不冷...歲了。 4. (表示驚訝,不同意等)喔,哇 Heavens, but it snows. 天哪,真的下雪了。 5. (用來加強語句...
...can not要寫成cannot back-value字典上查不到這個字 but to today錯誤，因為動詞do...不能和to today形成有意義的文字...句子應該是接近這句的結構，但內容不合理，且語法不對。（but=except) 2012-08-15 12:26:14 補充： The issuing...
...同位語，應該只有［一個］名詞子句，不會用對等的not only ... but also ...帶出兩個名詞子句來當the fact的同位語。 應該是the...要寫成; Not only does the flower smell great, but its leaves also taste good.(but和also要分開...