- determine (the amount or number of something) mathematically；determine by reasoning, experience, or common sense; reckon or judge
verb: calculate, 3rd person present: calculates, gerund or present participle: calculating, past tense: calculated, past participle: calculated
- 1. determine (the amount or number of something) mathematically Japanese land value was calculated at 2.5 times that of the U.S he calculated that Texas would gain four new seats in the House of Representatives 同義詞
- ▪ determine by reasoning, experience, or common sense; reckon or judge I was bright enough to calculate that she had been on vacation
- ▪ include as an essential element in one's plans he may have calculated on maximizing pressure for policy revision 同義詞
- 2. intend (an action) to have a particular effect his last words were calculated to wound her 同義詞
- 3. US dialect suppose or believe.