- according to or ordered by canon law；included in the list of sacred books officially accepted as genuine
- the prescribed official dress of the clergy
- 1. according to or ordered by canon law the canonical rites of the Roman Church
- 2. included in the list of sacred books officially accepted as genuine the canonical Gospels of the New Testament
- ▪ accepted as being accurate and authoritative the canonical method of comparative linguistics
- ▪ (of an artist or work) belonging to the literary or artistic canon canonical writers like Jane Austen
- ▪ according to recognized rules or scientific laws canonical nucleotide sequences
- ▪ relating to a general rule or standard formula.
- 3. relating to a cathedral chapter or a member of it.
- 1. the prescribed official dress of the clergy Cardinal Bea in full canonicals