- (in the Roman Catholic Church) officially declare (a dead person) to be a saint；treat or regard as being above reproach or of great significance
verb: canonize, 3rd person present: canonizes, gerund or present participle: canonizing, past tense: canonized, past participle: canonized
- 1. (in the Roman Catholic Church) officially declare (a dead person) to be a saint he was the last English saint to be canonized prior to the Reformation 同義詞
- ▪ treat or regard as being above reproach or of great significance he has been canonized by his fans we have canonized freedom of speech as an absolute value overriding all others 同義詞
- 2. place in or regard as belonging to a canon of literary or artistic works they have become cult classics, canonized in American literature by many critics Warhol is now canonized as one of the most important artists of the twentieth century
- 3. sanction by Church authority.