- an ornamental cloth covering hung or held up over something, especially a throne or bed；a projection or shelter that resembles a roof
- cover or provide with a canopy
noun: canopy, plural noun: canopies
- 1. an ornamental cloth covering hung or held up over something, especially a throne or bed a romantic four-poster bed complete with drapes and a canopy a full moon and a canopy of stars
- ▪ a projection or shelter that resembles a roof they mounted the station steps under the concrete canopy
- ▪ the transparent plastic or glass cover of an aircraft's cockpit.
- ▪ the expanding, umbrella-like part of a parachute, made of silk or nylon.
- 2. the uppermost branches of the trees in a forest, forming a more or less continuous layer of foliage woolly monkeys spend hours every day sitting high in the canopy
- 1. cover or provide with a canopy the river was canopied by overhanging trees