- a kind of soft, flat hat, typically with a peak；a kind of soft, close-fitting head covering worn for a particular purpose
- put a lid or cover on；form a covering layer or topmost part of
verb: cap, 3rd person present: caps, gerund or present participle: capping, past tense: capped, past participle: capped
noun: cap, plural noun: caps
- 1. a kind of soft, flat hat, typically with a peak a man wearing a raincoat and a flat cap her cap of dark hair
- ▪ a kind of soft, close-fitting head covering worn for a particular purpose a shower cap a bathing cap
- ▪ British a cap awarded as a sign of membership of a particular sports team, especially a national team he has won three caps for Scotland
- ▪ British a player to whom a cap is awarded a former naval officer and rugby cap
- ▪ an academic mortar board school-leavers in cap and gown 同義詞
- ▪ the top of a bird's head when distinctively coloured.
- 2. a protective lid or cover for an object such as a bottle, the point of a pen, or a camera lens a glass bottle with a screw cap a lens cap from a camera 同義詞
- ▪ an artificial protective covering for a tooth.
- 3. an upper limit imposed on spending or borrowing he raised the cap on local authority spending 同義詞
- 4. British informal a contraceptive diaphragm.
- 5. the broad upper part of the fruiting body of most mushrooms and toadstools, at the top of a stem and bearing gills or pores.
- 6. short for percussion cap
- 1. put a lid or cover on he capped his pen
- ▪ form a covering layer or topmost part of snow-capped mountains 同義詞
- ▪ put an artificial protective covering on (a tooth) his smile revealed perfectly capped teeth
- 2. provide a fitting climax or conclusion to he capped a memorable season by becoming champion of champions 同義詞
- ▪ follow or reply to (a story, remark, or joke) by producing a better one he prayed no wit would cap his remark with some repartee 同義詞
- 3. place a limit or restriction on (prices, expenditure, or borrowing) council budgets will be capped 同義詞
- 4. British be chosen as a member of a particular sports team, especially a national one he was capped ten times by England 同義詞
- 5. Scottish, New Zealand confer a university degree on.