- a small case or container, especially a round or cylindrical one；a small soluble case of gelatin containing a dose of medicine, swallowed whole.
noun: capsule, plural noun: capsules
- 1. a small case or container, especially a round or cylindrical one he showed us the cylinder of the gun filled with six plastic capsules
- ▪ a small soluble case of gelatin containing a dose of medicine, swallowed whole. 同義詞
- ▪ short for space capsule
- 2. a tough sheath or membrane that encloses something in the body, such as a kidney, a lens, or a synovial joint.
- ▪ a gelatinous layer forming the outer surface of some bacterial cells.
- 3. the foil or plastic covering the cork of a wine bottle. 同義詞
- 4. a dry fruit that releases its seeds by bursting open when ripe, such as a pea pod. 同義詞
- 5. the spore-producing structure of mosses and liverworts, typically borne on a stalk.
- 6. (of a piece of writing) shortened but retaining the essence of the original; condensed a capsule review of the movie
- ▪ (of a collection of clothing) consisting of a relatively small set of key items.