- cut (a hard material) in order to produce an object, design, or inscription；produce (an object, inscription, or design) by cutting into a hard material
verb: carve, 3rd person present: carves, gerund or present participle: carving, past tense: carved, past participle: carved
- 1. cut (a hard material) in order to produce an object, design, or inscription the wood was carved with runes 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ produce (an object, inscription, or design) by cutting into a hard material the altar was carved from a block of solid jade 同義詞
- 2. cut (cooked meat) into slices for eating he stood carving the roast chicken Cliff wouldn't carve, so she was expected to wield the knife 同義詞
- ▪ cut (a slice of meat) from a larger piece he carved himself a slice of beef 同義詞
- 3. establish (a career, role, or reputation) for oneself through hard work she has been busy carving a successful career as a singer the company has carved a name for itself in the smartphone market
- 4. make (a turn) by tilting one's skis on to their edges and using one's weight to bend them so that they slide in an arc.