- a check from which a king cannot escape.；(by a player) announcing that the opponent's king is in the position of checkmate.
- put into checkmate.；defeat or frustrate totally
verb: checkmate, 3rd person present: checkmates, gerund or present participle: checkmating, past tense: checkmated, past participle: checkmated
noun: checkmate, plural noun: checkmates
- 1. a check from which a king cannot escape.
- ▪ (by a player) announcing that the opponent's king is in the position of checkmate.
- ▪ a final defeat or deadlock if the rebel forces succeed in cutting off the road, they will have achieved checkmate
- 1. put into checkmate.
- ▪ defeat or frustrate totally the use of technology to checkmate present missile technology