- a young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority；a son or daughter of any age
noun: child, plural noun: children
- 1. a young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority she'd been playing tennis since she was a child the film is not suitable for children
- ▪ a son or daughter of any age when children leave home, parents can feel somewhat redundant
- ▪ an immature or irresponsible person she's such a child!
- ▪ a person who has little or no experience in a particular area he's a child in financial matters
- ▪ the descendants of a family or people the children of Abraham
- ▪ a person or thing influenced by a specified environment a child of the Sixties OPEC was in a sense a child of the Cold War