- a secret or disguised way of writing; a code；a thing written in a cipher
- put (a message) into secret writing; encode；do arithmetic.
verb: cipher, 3rd person present: ciphers, gerund or present participle: ciphering, past tense: ciphered, past participle: ciphered
noun: cipher, plural noun: ciphers
- 1. a secret or disguised way of writing; a code he was writing cryptic notes in a cipher the information may be given in cipher 同義詞
- ▪ a thing written in a cipher he came across ciphers written on parchment and concealed in a hollow altar pillar 同義詞
- ▪ a key to such a cipher.
- 2. dated a zero; a figure 0. 同義詞
- ▪ a person or thing of no importance, especially a person who does the bidding of others and seems to have no will of their own journalists are not mere interchangeable ciphers in the propaganda battle 同義詞 反義詞
- 3. a monogram a pair of rock crystal goblets engraved with the cipher of Peter the Great 同義詞
- 1. put (a message) into secret writing; encode he left two, as yet uncracked, ciphered messages for posthumous decoding
- 2. archaic do arithmetic.