- refer to (a passage, book, or author) as evidence for or justification of an argument or statement, especially in a scholarly work；mention as an example
- a citation.
verb: cite, 3rd person present: cites, gerund or present participle: citing, past tense: cited, past participle: cited
- 1. refer to (a passage, book, or author) as evidence for or justification of an argument or statement, especially in a scholarly work authors who are highly regarded by their peers tend to be cited he does not cite any source for this assertion 同義詞
- ▪ mention as an example medics have been cited as a key example of a modern breed of technical expert 同義詞
- 2. praise (someone, typically a member of the armed forces) in an official report for a courageous act he has been cited many times for his contributions in the intelligence area 同義詞
- 3. summon (someone) to appear in court the writ cited only four of the signatories of the petition 同義詞
- 1. US a citation.