- a heavy blow with the hand or a hard object；influence or power, especially in politics or business
- hit (someone or something) hard；mend with a patch
verb: clout, 3rd person present: clouts, gerund or present participle: clouting, past tense: clouted, past participle: clouted
noun: clout, plural noun: clouts
- 1. informal a heavy blow with the hand or a hard object a clout round the ear 同義詞 smack, slap, thump, punch, blow, ... 更多
- 2. informal influence or power, especially in politics or business I knew she carried a lot of clout 同義詞 influence, power, pull, weight, sway, ... 更多
- 3. archaic a piece of cloth or article of clothing.
- 4. a target twelve times the usual size, placed flat on the ground with a flag marking its centre and used in long-distance shooting.
- ▪ a long-distance shot that hits a clout.
- 5. short for clout nail
- 1. informal hit (someone or something) hard I clouted him round the head
- 2. archaic mend with a patch he helps the women clout their pans
- a nail with a large flat head, used chiefly for securing roofing felt.
- do not discard your winter clothes until summer has fully arrived
- a heavy blow with the hand or a hard object: a clout on the ear
- hit hard with the hand or a hard object: I clouted him on the head
Oxford American Dictionary