- a thing that is composed of two or more separate elements; a mixture；a substance formed from two or more elements chemically united in fixed proportions
- made up or consisting of two or more existing parts or elements；(of interest) payable on both capital and the accumulated interest
- make up (a composite whole); constitute；mix or combine (ingredients or constituents)
verb: compound, 3rd person present: compounds, gerund or present participle: compounding, past tense: compounded, past participle: compounded
- 1. a thing that is composed of two or more separate elements; a mixture the air smelled like a compound of diesel and gasoline fumes
- ▪ a substance formed from two or more elements chemically united in fixed proportions a compound of hydrogen and oxygen
- ▪ a word made up of two or more existing words, such as steamship.
- 1. made up or consisting of two or more existing parts or elements a compound noun
- ▪ (of interest) payable on both capital and the accumulated interest compound interest
- ▪ (especially of a leaf, flower, or eye) consisting of two or more simple parts or individuals in combination.
- 1. make up (a composite whole); constitute a dialect compounded of Spanish and Dutch 同義詞
- ▪ mix or combine (ingredients or constituents) yellow pastas compounded with lemon zest or saffron 同義詞
- ▪ calculate (interest) on previously accumulated interest the yield at which the interest is compounded
- 2. make (something bad) worse; intensify the negative aspects of I compounded the problem by trying to make wrong things right 同義詞 反義詞
- 3. forbear from prosecuting (a felony) in exchange for money or other consideration.
- ▪ settle (a debt or other matter) in exchange for money or other consideration he compounded the case with the defendant for a cash payment
文法書上說： Compound sentence (複合句) 指的是「至少兩個主要子句構成的... sentence 就簡單翻成「複句」。 而 Compound-Complex sentence 柯老師翻成「複合複雜句...
compound word是複合字的意思，就是二個原本有意義的字組合成另一個字，例如：evel...合成的,複合的,混合的"Broad-shouldered" is a compound word."Broad-shouldered"是個複合字。2. 【文】複合的...
... we talk about mixture, we think of it as something contrast to pure substance. A compound is 化合物, according to Merriam Webster's on-line...