- a way in which something is usually done；behaviour that is considered acceptable or polite to most members of a society
noun: convention, plural noun: conventions
- 1. a way in which something is usually done to attract the best patrons the movie houses had to ape the conventions and the standards of theatres
- ▪ behaviour that is considered acceptable or polite to most members of a society he was an upholder of convention and correct form the law is felt to express social conventions 同義詞
- 2. an agreement between states covering particular matters, especially one less formal than a treaty the convention, signed by the six states bordering on the Black Sea, aims to prevent further pollution 同義詞
- 3. a large meeting or conference, especially of members of a political party or a particular profession or group the party held its biennial convention 同義詞
- ▪ North American an assembly of the delegates of a political party to select candidates for office.
- ▪ a body set up by agreement to deal with a particular issue the convention is a UN body responsible for the regulation of sea dumping
- ▪ historical a meeting of Parliament without a summons from the sovereign.
- 4. a bid or system of bidding by which the bidder tries to convey specific information about the hand to their partner, as opposed to seeking to win the auction.