- a person trained to give guidance on personal or psychological problems；a person who gives advice on a specified subject
noun: counsellor, plural noun: counsellors
- 1. a person trained to give guidance on personal or psychological problems a marriage counsellor
- ▪ a person who gives advice on a specified subject a debt counsellor
- 2. a senior officer in the diplomatic service a counsellor at the Russian embassy
- 3. US, Irish a barrister.
- 4. North American a supervisor at a children's summer camp.
- a member of a Privy Council.
- a person who offers professional advice on methods of debt repayment.
- a person trained to assist people who have been bereaved in coping with their grief: Patrick's widow started sessions with a grief counsellor
- a person trained to help people who have been bereaved to cope with their grief: I volunteer as a bereavement counsellor at the hospice
- (in the UK) a person trained to give counselling to married couples who have problems in their ... they're currently seeing a marriage guidance counsellor
- (in the UK) a temporary regent during a sovereign's absence.