- win a victory over (someone) in a battle or other contest; overcome or beat；prevent (someone) from achieving an aim
- an instance of defeating or being defeated
verb: defeat, 3rd person present: defeats, gerund or present participle: defeating, past tense: defeated, past participle: defeated
noun: defeat, plural noun: defeats
- 1. win a victory over (someone) in a battle or other contest; overcome or beat Garibaldi defeated the Neapolitan army 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ prevent (someone) from achieving an aim she was defeated by the last steep hill 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ prevent (an aim) from being achieved don't cheat by allowing your body to droop—this defeats the object of the exercise
- ▪ reject or block (a motion or proposal) the amendment was defeated 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ be impossible for (someone) to understand this line of reasoning defeats me, I must confess 同義詞
- ▪ render null and void; annul.
- 1. an instance of defeating or being defeated a 1–0 defeat by Grimsby she had still not quite admitted defeat 同義詞 反義詞
樓上諸位回答者與意見001都沒有觸及版主的疑惑重點. defeat當動詞用, 主動代表戰勝與擊敗, 被動代表戰敗或被擊敗...第2條是多餘且錯誤的, 應予以刪除, 只保留第1條註解. defeat的名詞用法只有戰敗或挫敗的負面意思, 其相反詞是victory...
vt. (及物動詞 transitive verb) 戰勝,擊敗 The French defeated the English troops. 法國人打敗了英國軍隊。 使失敗,挫敗 ...
... led manyarmies against king’s enemies and was never defeated in open combat. Inthe end, however, the sheer numbers of the ...