- resist an attack made on (someone or something); protect from harm or danger；speak or write in favor of (an action or person); attempt to justify
verb: defend, 3rd person present: defends, gerund or present participle: defending, past tense: defended, past participle: defended
- 1. resist an attack made on (someone or something); protect from harm or danger we shall defend our country, whatever the cost 同義詞 protect, guard, safeguard, keep from harm, preserve, ... 更多反義詞 attack
- ▪ speak or write in favor of (an action or person); attempt to justify he defended his policy of imposing high taxes 同義詞 justify, vindicate, argue/speak for, speak on behalf of, support, ... 更多反義詞 attack, criticize, criticize
- ▪ conduct the case for (the party being accused or sued) in a lawsuit the lawyer had defended the dissidents
- ▪ compete to retain (a title or seat) in a contest or election he successfully defended his congressional seat in new elections
- ▪ (in sports) protect one's goal rather than attempt to score against one's opponents.
- resist an attack made on (someone or something); protect from harm or danger: we shall defend our island, whatever the cost