- treat or regard (someone) with contempt or disrespect；lower the quality of; cause to deteriorate
verb: degrade, 3rd person present: degrades, gerund or present participle: degrading, past tense: degraded, past participle: degraded
- 1. treat or regard (someone) with contempt or disrespect she thought that many supposedly erotic pictures degraded women 同義詞 demean, debase, cheapen, devalue, prostitute, ... 更多反義詞 dignify, ennoble
- ▪ lower the quality of; cause to deteriorate vast areas of natural habitats have been degraded
- ▪ archaic reduce (someone) to a lower rank, especially as a punishment he was degraded from his high estate
- 2. break down or deteriorate chemically the bacteria will degrade hydrocarbons when exposed to light the materials will degrade 同義詞 break down, deteriorate, degenerate, decay, atrophy
- ▪ reduce (energy) to a less readily convertible form.
- ▪ wear down (rock) and cause it to disintegrate.