- the action or process of distributing things or people over a wide area；the state of being dispersed
noun: dispersion, plural noun: dispersions
- 1. the action or process of distributing things or people over a wide area some seeds rely on birds for dispersion
- ▪ the state of being dispersed the study looks at the dispersion of earnings with OECD member countries
- ▪ the pattern of distribution of individuals within a habitat.
- ▪ another term for diaspora
- ▪ a mixture of one substance dispersed in another medium the virus is transmitted in the dispersion of droplets which results from sneezing or coughing
- 2. the separation of white light into colours or of any radiation according to wavelength.
- 3. the extent to which values of a variable differ from a fixed value such as the mean.