- the action of moving something from its place or position；the removal of someone or something by someone or something else which takes their place
noun: displacement, plural noun: displacements
- 1. the action of moving something from its place or position vertical displacement of the shoreline a displacement of the vertebra at the bottom of the spine
- ▪ the removal of someone or something by someone or something else which takes their place males may be able to resist displacement by other males
- ▪ the enforced departure of people from their homes, typically because of war, persecution, or natural disaster the displacement of farmers by guerrilla activity
- ▪ the amount by which a thing is moved from a position a displacement of 6.8 metres along the San Andreas fault
- 2. the occupation by a submerged body or part of a body of a volume which would otherwise be occupied by a fluid.
- ▪ the volume or weight of fluid that would fill the volume displaced by a floating ship, used as a measure of the ship's size the submarine has a surface displacement of 2,185 tons
- ▪ technical the volume swept by a reciprocating system, as in a pump or engine a fixed displacement gear
- 3. the unconscious transfer of an intense emotion from one object to another this phobia was linked with the displacement of fear of his father
- 4. the component of an electric field due to free separated charges, regardless of any polarizing effects.
- ▪ the vector representing such a component.
- ▪ the flux density of such an electric field.