- having power and influence over others；(of a high place) overlooking others.
- a dominant trait or gene；a dominant species in a plant (or animal) community
noun: dominant, plural noun: dominants
- 1. having power and influence over others they are now in an even more dominant position in the market 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of a high place) overlooking others.
- ▪ relating to or denoting heritable characteristics which are controlled by genes that are expressed in offspring even when inherited from only one parent it is the dominant gene causing polydactyly the mutant allele is dominant to the wild type
- ▪ denoting the predominant species in a plant (or animal) community red spruce is a dominant species in many types of forest
- ▪ (in decision theory) denoting a choice that is at least as good as the alternatives in all circumstances, and better in some holding back is here a dominant strategy
- 1. a dominant trait or gene this disorder is inherited as a dominant
- ▪ a dominant species in a plant (or animal) community oak is a long-established dominant
- 2. the fifth note of the diatonic scale of any key, or the key based on this, considered in relation to the key of the tonic.
- most important, powerful, or influential: they are now in an even more dominant position in the market
- a dominant trait or gene: this disorder is inherited as a dominant
Oxford American Dictionary