- a tool or machine with a rotating cutting tip or reciprocating hammer or chisel, used for making holes.；a tool with a rotating tip used by a dentist for cutting away part of a tooth before filling it.
- produce (a hole) in something by or as if by boring with a drill；make a hole in (something) by boring with a drill
verb: drill, 3rd person present: drills, gerund or present participle: drilling, past tense: drilled, past participle: drilled
noun: drill, plural noun: drills
- 1. a tool or machine with a rotating cutting tip or reciprocating hammer or chisel, used for making holes. 同義詞 drilling tool, boring tool, rotary tool, auger, (brace and) bit, ... 更多
- ▪ a tool with a rotating tip used by a dentist for cutting away part of a tooth before filling it.
- 2. instruction or training in military exercises parade-ground drill 同義詞 training, instruction, coaching, teaching, grounding, ... 更多
- ▪ intensive instruction or training in something, typically by means of repeated exercises tables can be mastered by drill and practice language-learning drills
- ▪ a rehearsal of the procedure to be followed in an emergency air-raid drills
- ▪ informal the correct or recognized procedure or way of doing something he didn't know the drill 同義詞 procedure, routine, practice, pattern, regimen, ... 更多
- 3. a predatory mollusc that bores into the shells of other molluscs in order to feed on the soft tissue.
- 1. produce (a hole) in something by or as if by boring with a drill drill holes through the tiles for the masonry pins
- ▪ make a hole in (something) by boring with a drill a power tool for drilling wood
- ▪ make a hole in or through something by using a drill do not attempt to drill through a joist his eyes drilled into her 同義詞 bore a hole in, make a hole in, cut a hole in, drill a hole in, bore, ... 更多反義詞 punch, gouge
- ▪ sink a borehole in order to obtain oil or water BP has been licensed to drill for oil in the area 同義詞 bore a hole in, make a hole in, cut a hole in, drill a hole in, bore, ... 更多反義詞 punch, gouge
- ▪ (of a dentist) cut away part of (a tooth) before filling it I didn't like having my teeth drilled, but extractions were worse
- ▪ informal (of a sports player) hit (a shot) hard and in a straight line he drilled a right-foot volley into the back of the net
- 2. subject (someone) to military training exercises a sergeant was drilling new recruits 同義詞 train, instruct, coach, teach, ground, ... 更多
- ▪ (of a person) take part in military training exercises the troops were drilling
- ▪ instruct (someone) in something by the means of repeated exercises or practice I reacted instinctively because I had been drilled to do just that