- a percussion instrument sounded by being struck with sticks or the hands, typically cylindrical, barrel-shaped, or bowl-shaped, with a taut membrane over one or both ends；a set of drums
- play on a drum or drums.；make a continuous rhythmic noise
noun: drum, plural noun: drums
- 1. a percussion instrument sounded by being struck with sticks or the hands, typically cylindrical, barrel-shaped, or bowl-shaped, with a taut membrane over one or both ends a shuffling dance to the beat of a drum
- ▪ a set of drums how to play guitar, drums, or keyboards
- ▪ the percussion section of a band or orchestra.
- ▪ a sound made by or resembling that of a drum the drum of their feet 同義詞
- ▪ historical a military drummer.
- 2. a cylindrical container or receptacle a drum of powdered bleach 同義詞
- ▪ a rotating cylindrical part in a washing machine, in which the laundry is placed.
- ▪ a cylindrical part in certain other appliances.
- ▪ the circular vertical wall supporting a dome.
- ▪ a stone block forming part of a column.
- 3. an evening or afternoon tea party of a kind that was popular in the late 18th and early 19th century a drum at Lady Beresford's
- 1. play on a drum or drums.
- ▪ make a continuous rhythmic noise she felt the blood drumming in her ears hooves drummed on the turf
- ▪ beat (the fingers, feet, etc.) repeatedly on a surface, especially as a sign of impatience or annoyance Frank drummed his fingers on the table 同義詞
- ▪ (of a woodpecker) strike the bill rapidly on a dead trunk or branch, especially as a sound indicating a territorial claim.
- ▪ (of a snipe) vibrate the outer tail feathers in a diving display flight, making a throbbing sound.