- a sound or sounds caused by the reflection of sound waves from a surface back to the listener；a reflected radio or radar beam.
- (of a sound) be repeated or reverberate after the original sound has stopped；(of a place) resound with or reflect back a sound
verb: echo, 3rd person present: echoes, gerund or present participle: echoing, past tense: echoed, past participle: echoed
noun: echo, plural noun: echoes
- 1. a sound or sounds caused by the reflection of sound waves from a surface back to the listener the walls threw back the echoes of his footsteps 同義詞
- ▪ a reflected radio or radar beam.
- ▪ the deliberate introduction of reverberation into a sound recording.
- ▪ the repetition in structure and content of one speaker's utterance by another.
- 2. a close parallel to an idea, feeling, or event his love for her found an echo in her own feelings 同義詞
- ▪ a characteristic that is suggestive of something else the cheese has a sharp rich aftertaste with echoes of salty, earthy pastures 同義詞
- 3. archaic a person who slavishly repeats the words or opinions of another Clarendon, whom they reckoned the faithful echo of their master's intentions
- 4. used in names of newspapers the South Wales Echo
- 5. a code word representing the letter E, used in radio communication.
- 6. a play by a defender of a higher card in a suit followed by a lower one in a subsequent trick, used as a signal to request a further lead of that suit by their partner.
- 1. (of a sound) be repeated or reverberate after the original sound has stopped their footsteps echoed on the metal catwalks
- ▪ (of a place) resound with or reflect back a sound the house echoed with shouts 同義詞
- ▪ repeat (someone's words or opinions), typically to express agreement these criticisms are echoed in a number of other studies ‘A trip?’ she echoed 同義詞
- 2. (of an object or event) be reminiscent of or have shared characteristics with a blue suit that echoed the colour of her eyes
- 3. send a copy of (an input signal or character) back to its source or to a screen for display for security reasons, the password will not be echoed to the screen
- 4. (of a defender) play a higher card followed by a lower one in the same suit, as a signal to request one's partner to lead that suit.