- the action or fact of raising or being raised to a higher or more important level, state, or position；increase in the level of something
noun: elevation, plural noun: elevations
- 1. the action or fact of raising or being raised to a higher or more important level, state, or position her sudden elevation to the cabinet 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ increase in the level of something diabetics have been found to have more pronounced elevation of systolic blood pressure
- ▪ the raising of the consecrated elements for adoration at Mass a prayer recommended for lay people at the elevation of the Host
- ▪ the ability of a dancer to attain height in jumps.
- 2. height above a given level, especially sea level the area has a topography that ranges from 1,500 to 3,000 metres in elevation 同義詞
- ▪ a high place or position an elevation of 300 metres 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ the angle of something with the horizontal, especially of a gun or of the direction of a celestial object as every gunner knows, increasing the elevation beyond five degrees can be a risky business
- 3. a particular side of a building a burglar alarm was displayed on the front elevation 同義詞
- ▪ a scale drawing showing the vertical projection of one side of a building.
- the action or fact of elevating or being elevated: her sudden elevation to the cabinet
Oxford American Dictionary