- cause (someone) to feel awkward, self-conscious, or ashamed；be caused financial difficulties
verb: embarrass, 3rd person present: embarrasses, gerund or present participle: embarrassing, past tense: embarrassed, past participle: embarrassed
- 1. cause (someone) to feel awkward, self-conscious, or ashamed she wouldn't embarrass either of them by making a scene
- ▪ be caused financial difficulties he would be embarrassed by an inheritance tax
- ▪ hamper or impede (a person, movement, or action) the state of the rivers will embarrass the enemy in a considerable degree
- ▪ make difficult or intricate; complicate.