- a flag or standard, especially a military or naval one indicating nationality.；a sign or emblem of a particular thing
noun: ensign, plural noun: ensigns
- 1. a flag or standard, especially a military or naval one indicating nationality.
- ▪ archaic a sign or emblem of a particular thing all the ensigns of our greatness
- 2. a commissioned officer of the lowest rank in the US Navy and Coast Guard, ranking above chief warrant officer and below lieutenant a copy of Ensign Smith's report
- ▪ historical the lowest rank of commissioned infantry officer in the British army.
- ▪ historical a standard-bearer.