- the action of establishing something or being established；a marriage
noun: establishment, plural noun: establishments
- 1. the action of establishing something or being established the establishment of a scholarship renews that personal interest of donors in students 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ archaic a marriage her chief solicitude was to procure an affluent establishment for their daughter
- 2. a business organization, public institution, or household hotels or catering establishments 同義詞
- 3. a group in a society exercising power and influence over matters of policy or taste, and seen as resisting change he scandalized the Establishment of his day she became an establishment figure 同義詞
- ▪ an influential group within a specified profession or area of activity rumblings of discontent among the medical establishment
- 4. the ecclesiastical system organized by law.
- ▪ the Church of England or of Scotland.