- the quality of being outstanding or extremely good；an outstanding feature or quality.
noun: excellence, plural noun: excellences
- 1. the quality of being outstanding or extremely good a center of academic excellence the award for excellence in engineering
- ▪ an outstanding feature or quality.
- better or more than all others of the same kind: Nash is, to many, the Regency architect par excellence
- better or more than all others of the same kind: he has won a reputation for being a designer par excellence
Oxford American Dictionary
- a place where the highest standards are maintained: the hospital is a centre of excellence in research and teaching of doctors
- the quality of being outstanding or extremely good: awards for excellence a centre of academic excellence