- a royal or national treasury；the bank account into which tax receipts and other public monies are paid; the funds of the British government
noun: exchequer, plural noun: exchequers
- 1. a royal or national treasury an important source of revenue to the sultan's exchequer
- ▪ the bank account into which tax receipts and other public monies are paid; the funds of the British government each of the protesters will be liable to a fixed fine, which could raise £200m for the Exchequer
- ▪ the former government office responsible for collecting revenue and making payments on behalf of the sovereign, auditing official accounts, and trying legal cases relating to revenue.
- the finance minister of the United Kingdom, responsible for preparing the nation's annual ...
Oxford American Dictionary
- the chief finance minister of the United Kingdom, who prepares the nation's annual budgets.
- a royal or national treasury: an important source of revenue to the sultan's exchequer