- (of a document, authorization, or agreement) come to the end of the period of validity；(of a period of time) come to an end
verb: expire, 3rd person present: expires, gerund or present participle: expiring, past tense: expired, past participle: expired
- 1. (of a document, authorization, or agreement) come to the end of the period of validity:
his driving licence expired
- 2. (of a period of time) come to an end:
the three-year period has expired
- 3. (of a person) die:
the lady had expired bearing her lord a son
- 4. exhale (air) from the lungs:
the volume of expired air
adj. (especially of locomotives or other railway equipment) worn out or outdated:
Powered by Oxford Dictionary of English 3e
- v.(of a document, authorization, or agreement) cease to be valid, typically after a fixed period of time:
- the old contract had expired
Powered by New Oxford American Dictionary
expire verb 英英解釋：If something which lasts for a fixed length of time expires, it comes to an end or stops being in use: 例句： 1. ...
... still good before the expiration date of Jan 9, 2013. The milk will expire on Jan 9. The milk will not go bad in a few days after the...
Ｑ：In the word expire, what does the word root spir mean? Ｑ：在expire這個...aspire(渴望), inspire (鼓舞、吸氣) and respiratory (呼吸的)等字。 expire這個字裡面雖然沒有"s"這個字母，但是其發音與字根...