- be unsuccessful in achieving one's goal；be unsuccessful in (an examination, test, or interview)
- a grade that is not high enough to pass an examination or test.
verb: fail, 3rd person present: fails, gerund or present participle: failing, past tense: failed, past participle: failed
- 1. be unsuccessful in achieving one's goal he failed in his attempt to secure election they failed to be ranked in the top ten
- ▪ be unsuccessful in (an examination, test, or interview) she failed her finals 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of a person or a commodity) be unable to meet the standards set by (a test of quality or eligibility) the player has failed a drug test
- ▪ judge (someone, especially in an examination) not to have passed the criteria used to pass or fail the candidate
- 2. neglect to do something the firm failed to give adequate risk warnings
- ▪ behave in a way contrary to hopes or expectations by not doing something commuter chaos has again failed to materialize
- ▪ used to express a strong belief that something must be the case you cannot fail to be deeply impressed
- ▪ used to indicate that something invariably happens such comments never failed to annoy him
- ▪ desert or let down (someone) at the last moment her nerve failed her 同義詞 反義詞
- 3. break down; cease to work well a truck whose brakes had failed 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ become weaker or of poorer quality; die away the light began to fail his failing health 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (especially of a rain or a crop or supply) be lacking or insufficient when needed or expected the drought means crops have failed 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of a business or a person) be obliged to cease trading because of lack of funds; become bankrupt he lost his savings when the store failed 同義詞 反義詞
- 1. a grade that is not high enough to pass an examination or test.
...則是用來比喻成自己的身體 可以這樣說 Twenty years ago I failed biology; twenty years later biology failed me. 二十年前...
fail的主詞可以是"人"或"事物", 以下是字典裡的例子: Our plan has failed. 我們的計劃失敗了。 (主動語態完成式) He failed in everything he...
...omission, failure to act) 的事實，沒有"蓄意或逃避職權"的主觀含意。 failing to do so，其中failing 是動名詞，有 "抗拒履行" 的意願行為...