- an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat；a feeling of anxiety concerning the outcome of something or the safety and well-being of someone
- be afraid of (someone or something) as likely to be dangerous, painful, or threatening；feel anxiety or apprehension on behalf of
noun: fear, plural noun: fears
verb: fear, 3rd person present: fears, gerund or present participle: fearing, past tense: feared, past participle: feared
- 1. an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat:
he is prey to irrational fears
drivers are threatening to quit their jobs in fear after a cabby's murder
- 2. a feeling of anxiety concerning the outcome of something or the safety and well-being of someone:
police launched a search for the family amid fears for their safety
- 3. the likelihood of something unwelcome happening:
she could observe the other guests without too much fear of attracting attention
- 4. a mixed feeling of dread and reverence:
the love and fear of God
- 1. be afraid of (someone or something) as likely to be dangerous, painful, or threatening:
farmers fear that they will lose business
he said he didn't care about life so why should he fear death?
- 2. feel anxiety or apprehension on behalf of:
I fear for the city with this madman let loose in it
- 3. avoid or put off doing something because one is afraid:
they aim to make war so horrific that potential aggressors will fear to resort to it
- 4. used to express regret or apology:
I'll buy her book, though not, I fear, the hardback version
- 5. regard (God) with reverence and awe:
he urged his listeners to fear God
... near the edge 我從未走近邊緣 Used to fear swam far from shore 曾經害怕游離岸邊 Never...you give me love 當你來愛我時 I have no fear of heights, 我不怕高 No fear of the deep blue...
... of snakes(怕蛇), scared of cockroaches (怕蟑螂) Fear是恐懼 <名詞/動詞> 是因為害怕會發生所以恐懼 通常是用在...
to fear for you=為你擔心 (因為我認為你可能遭到惡運)這裡的fear當動詞用,fear for是片語動詞. He expressed fears for ...