- the plumage of a bird or part of a bird.；the feathers of an arrow.
- 1. the plumage of a bird or part of a bird.
- ▪ the feathers of an arrow.
- ▪ fringes of hairs on the appendages or body of a dog.
- ▪ featherlike markings traditional finishes such as marbling and feathering
- ▪ cusping in tracery.
- 2. the action of varying the angle of propellers, rotor blades, or oars so as to reduce air or water resistance.
- 3. the spreading and separation of ink, lipstick, etc. into tiny lines after application a long-lasting formula that resists feathering and protects the lips